Hoyas' offense blanks Hall

The men's soccer team continued to struggle against the Georgetown Hoyas on Oct. 13, losing 6-0 in their worst loss since the 2007 season and extending their losing streak to three games.

Over the past two games the Pirates were outscored 10-0 by their opponents making their record 3-8-1 overall and 1-3-0 in Big East play.

The Hall was able to hold the Hoyas scoreless until the 26th minute with Georgetown's sophomore Tommy Muller headed in the free kick from freshman Steve Neumann, giving the Hoyas the 1-0 lead.

Two minutes later senior Chandler Diggs put a blocked shot past Pirate goalkeeper freshman Kevin Bonder making the score 2-0.

Georgetown's leading scorer, Neumann, would score the next two goals for the Hoyas for his fifth and sixth goals of the season.

The first of his goals came in the 33rd minute when

senior Robert Burnett passed the ball to Neumann who beat Bonder for the Hoyas third goal of the game.

Neumann's second goal came when he headed in a cross from senior Henry Tembon giving the Hoyas the 4-0 lead at the end of the first half.

In the half, the Pirates were outshot by the Hoyas 7-3.

Less than 10 minutes into the second half the Hoyas extended their lead to 5-0 when senior Jose Colchao picked up a rebound and beat Bonder from the top of the box.

In the 77th minute freshman Gabe Padilla put his shot in the left corner finishing the scoring for the Hoyas, extending their lead to 6-0.

The Pirates took eight shots in the game, only three of which were on net and all by senior Dritan Sela.

Despite allowing six goals in the game, Bonder made seven saves with six coming in the second half.

Against the No. 2 Connecticut Huskies the Hall lost 4-0 on Oct. 9.

The Huskies took the lead in the 23rd minute when junior Tony Cascio received a pass from sophomore Carlos Alvarez for his first goal of the game.

Just 25 seconds later the Huskies increased their lead to two after senior Shawn Nicklaw crossed the ball into the box to sophomore Stephanie Diop, who beat the Hall's Bonder for his sixth goal of the season.

The Huskies would again increase their lead to 3-0 over the Pirates in the 30th minute when Huskie senior Robert Brickley headed in a free kick off the foot of Alverez. The assist for Alverez was his third of the game.

Before the first half ended, Connecticut added one more goal making the halftime score 4-0 with Cascio scoring his second goal of the game after a rebound off Bonder.

In the first half the Pirates were outshot 13-4 by the Huskies, who also held the 7-0 lead in corner kicks.

Senior Andrew Welker had the Hall's lone shot on goal.

The Pirates return home to continue Big East play against the Cincinnati Bearcats Oct. 16.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu