Seton Hall cares: Rotaract

Available to both Seton Hall students and South Orange residents, Seton Hall's Rotaract club sponsors many projects and fundraisers to help find solutions for impoverished countries.

Rotaract is the collegiate offshoot of Rotary International, a service-based organization open to any member of a particular community.

The Seton Hall Rotaract Club's motto of "service above self" reflects the organization's goal of trying to change the world one step at a time.

The President of the University's Rotaract Club, Katie Harris, said the group provides "students an idea of what it is like to help serve in their community."

According to the Rotary International website, objectives are set for all Rotarians to reach as they proceed in their service.

Rotarians also participate in five acts of service, including club service, vocational service, community service, international service, and new generations service.

The website also states that Rotary International's mission "is to provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through its fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders."

Seton Hall's Rotaract Club follows Rotary's mission and objectives to raise money for local and international issues that are prominent today.

"Everything we do is to serve and help with projects many people do not realize still exist," Harris said.

The first project on the list for 2010 is Operation Smile. The money raised will be donated to children who do not have enough money for a cleft lip or palate operation.

The next project is Purple Pinkie, where club members will paint members of the Seton Hall community's fingers purple in order to raise awareness for polio.

In addition, Rotaract members will help raise money to eradicate polio in Third World countries. Other upcoming projects are the water benefit concert and the South Orange clean up.

Rotaract club has many with student activists who try to make a difference in the SHU community and globally.

When asked to describe the organization in one word sophomore member Jessica Chedid said, "Rewarding because I met many people who share the same enthusiasm as I do to make a difference."

Rotaract club is always open to new members. They meet every Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. in Jubilee 139.

Christina Brattoli can be reached at christina.brattoli@student.shu.edu.