Seton Hall cares: Colleges Against Cancer

"I like it on the chair." "I like it in the closet."

These absurd Facebook statuses have inundated our news feeds over the past week. The seemingly risqué phrases about where women like to keep their purses showed the power women have when coming together to promote breast cancer awareness.

At Seton Hall, the power of people to come together to raise cancer awareness is reflected in the annual Relay for Life event.

Open to all students, Relay for Life is a national event hosted by The American Cancer society. It is a 12 hour overnight fundraiser walk in support of the cancer community.

Junior Krupa Garachh, member of Colleges Against Cancer, said Relay for Life is an event in honor of "the angels and loved ones we lost from the illness."

"We celebrate those that have overcome cancer, and we fight back for those who are currently struggling from the sickness," she said.

The walk encourages students to make teams and raise money. There is the welcome ceremony, survivor lap, luminaria ceremony and fight back ceremony, as well as plenty of entertainment, games, a DJ, dance performances, and various other activities.

Because this is an overnight event and hundreds of students show up, it is held in the field house of the Recreaction Center.

As an active participant in the club and relay, Garachh knows firsthand how positive of an experience this walk is.

"It is the most moving event I have been to in my entire life," he said. "The sense of everyone working together and having determination to fight back against cancer is unbelievable. The feeling you get at the end of the event, I can't even explain in words."

According to Garachh, last year Seton Hall was the number two college Relay for Life. "Now we just have to beat Rider University and I am sure we can," she said.

Anyone who would like to participate in the event only needs to get a group of friends to register as a team.

Garachh implores students to join the event.

"It will certainly change your perspective on life and motivate you to help anyone who is hurting," she said. "I feel in love with relay and I know I will be participating in the event every year."

As for other events, Colleges Against Cancer has hosted Root Beer Pong, 7-UP Flip Cup, Knock out Cancer, bake sales, henna tattoos, and Zumba to raise

money in the past, so there is a way for everyone to get involved and fight back against cancer.

Meghan Hallinan can be reached at meghan.hallinan@student.shu.edu.