New chairman appointed to Board of Regents

Seton Hall University's Board of Regents has elected a new chairman, according to a broadcast e-mail from interim President Gabriel Esteban on Oct. 1.

Prior to being named as chairman, Patrick M. Murray served on a variety of boards at Seton Hall, such as the Executive, Finance and Audit Committees. Murray has also chaired the Advancement Committee and the Building and Grounds subcommittee.

"I feel I have the necessary leadership experience, business background and insight into how Seton Hall operates to help guide the board to most effectively address the issues facing the University," Murray said.

In the broadcast e-mail, Esteban noted how much of an asset Murray's familiarity with Seton Hall and past endeavors will be in fulfilling the role of chairman.

"Mr. Murray brings a wealth of experience and wisdom gained in his long and distinguished business career, a deep knowledge of Seton Hall and the strategic issues we currently face," Esteban said.

Murray was chosen for the position after a special nominating committee of the Board of Regents met after Kurt Borowsky, stepped down from the position on Sept. 16, Murray said.

While serving as Chairman of the Board of Regents, Murray said he hopes to help advance the University's higher education mission.

Murray will work closely with the presidential search chairman, Joe LaSala, and other board members in finding the next president for the University.

"Transition is a part of any organization. Once Seton Hall's next president is named, I believe we will be able to move very quickly to fill these positions," Murray said. "These are very attractive positions, so I'm confident we will find very talented people to fill these roles."

Murray is an alumnus who holds an undergraduate degree and an MBA from the Stillman School of Business. He also served in U.S. Army for two years as a commissioned officer.

His term is effective immediately.

Nicole Bitette can be reached at nicole.bitette@student.shu.edu.