Hoyas bring Pirates' win streak to an end

The women's soccer team split their two games over the weekend, losing at No. 15 Georgetown 2-0 on Sunday afternoon after defeating Villanova 3-0 at Owen T. Carroll field on Friday night.

The loss on Sunday snapped the Pirates season-high five game winning streak, bringing their record to 6-4 for the season and 2-1 in Big East play.

"It's completely different," freshman Kaitlyn Ritter said on the difference between Big East and nonconference games. "The speed of the game and the aggressiveness and everything is completely different."

Facing their second ranked opponent of the season, the Hall struggled to muster an offensive attack. The team combined for six shots, with only one on goal.

The game was scoreless until the 74th minute when Georgetown's Kelly D'Ambrisi got loose inside the box and struck a shot inside the far post for the first goal of the game.

Three minutes later, Kaitlin Brenn followed up with a goal of her own, playing give-and-go with teammate Ingrid Wells for the 2-0 lead, securing the victory for the Hoyas.

"Giving them credit, they played a great game," senior midfielder Nicki Gross said. "They moved the ball around a lot and made us chase, which tired us out quickly. We couldn't really find a rhythm in the first half."

Sophomore goalie Jennifer Pettigrew played the whole game in net for the Hall, recording five saves while facing 20 total shots.

On Friday night, the Pirates played host to Villanova, shutting the Wildcats out 3-0.

The victory also marked the first time the Hall has beaten Villanova in their last 10 matchups, dating back to 2000.

"It was a really good feeling to finally beat them in the way we did, where we took control of the game," Gross said.

Ritter jumpstarted the offense in the 17th minute after the Pirates forced a turnover at midfield.

Ritter took a pass from Gross, dribbled into the box and put a shot on net. The first shot was saved, but the rebound came out to Ritter, who beat goalkeeper Jami Kranich to the ball and put away the first goal of the game.

"A big theme for this year and especially the last couple of games was our coach was telling us to come out straight from the start, and don't let teams take it to us in the first part of the game," Gross said. "It kind of set the tone for the rest of the game that we are here to defend our turf."

Ritter and Gross connected again in the 49th minute, when Ritter shook off her defender and beat Kranich left side for her second goal of the game. Ritter continues to lead the team in goals with seven on the season.

Senior Katie Andreski capped off the scoring in the 53rd minute, taking a pass from Ritter and shooting it over Kranich. The goal was Andreski's third goal the season.

The Hall recorded 13 shots as a team, including six on goal. Ritter, along with senior Keri O'Donnell, led the team with two shots on goal each.

Pettigrew played the entire game in net, facing seven shots from the Wildcats, none on goal.

"I would say we are in a good position and where we want to be," Ritter said. "We are definitely there and need to keep winning and trying as hard we can."

The Pirates are back in action this weekend, hosting Providence on Friday night at 7 p.m. and Connecticut on Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. at Owen T. Carroll Field.

John Valentovic can be reached at john.valentovic@student.shu.edu.