University addresses shooting via broadcast e-mail to community

The University has sent a broadcast e-mail to the Seton Hall community with information regarding the shooting the occurred early Saturday morning in East Orange.

According to the broadcast, the shooting occurred around 12:30 a.m. at a private residence on South Clinton St. in East Orange, N.J., where a party was being held.

An individual was involved in an argument inside the residence and left, returning with a handgun, according to the e-mail. The individual fired shots and wounded five students, three of whom are Seton Hall students. The e-mail also said two other victims were from another local college.

The shooter is described as a black male in his mid 20s, 5'11" – 6'2", with a dark complexion, stocky build, low haircut and scruffy full beard, the broadcast said.

According to the e-mail, the Essex County Crime Stoppers has offered a $10,000 reward through the Essex County Sheriff's Office, according to the e-mail. Anyone with information should call the East Orange Violent Crimes Task Force (973-266-5060) or the East Orange Anonymous Crime Tips Hotline (973-266-5041).

The e-mail also said that a task force, including the East Orange, South Orange and Newark police departments, the Essex County Sheriff's Department and Seton Hall's Public Safety and Security Office, has been formed to investigate the incident.

A separate broadcast e-mail was also sent notifying the University community of a prayer service to support the Seton Hall students and families affected by the shooting. It will be held tonight in the Main Lounge at 9 p.m.

Jessica Sutcliffe can be reached at jessica.sutcliffe@student.shu.edu.