Student dies after gunshot incident at house party

UPDATE: Sept. 27, 7:40 a.m.: According to 7 Online.com, one of the victims in Saturday's deadly shooting at a house party in East Orange is in stable condition at University Hospital in Newark – awaiting word on whether she may need surgery.

Sophomore Nakeisha Vanterpool, reportedly the roommate of slain classmate Jessica Moore, was shot in the chin on Saturday morning according to the 7 Online report. Doctors are reportedly unsure if surgery will be necessary to remove the bullet as they wait for swelling in her jaw to go down.

As The Setonian reported over the weekend, Moore jumped in front of Vanterpool when she was shot in the head at the party, according to multiple eyewitnesses. She died later that afternoon.

--

UPDATE as per the Associated Press, Sept. 26, 8 a.m.:

Other victims of yesterday's shooting in East Orange that killed one Seton Hall student and left two others injured include a 25-year-old male student from N.J.I.T., according to the Associated Press.

The AP also listed the deceased Seton Hall student – 19-year-old Jessica Moore, as from Disputanta, Va. and a psychology major.

As The Setonian earlier reported through a friend, junior Derel Stroud, Moore grew up in Tennessee but lived with her mother in Virginia. Her nickname around the campus was "Tennessee."

--

UPDATE: Sept. 25, 4:45 p.m.: One of the students shot in an incident early this morning at a house party in East Orange has died.

Sophomore Jessica Moore, 19, was listed in critical condition throughout the day at University Hospital in Newark. She passed away in the 4 p.m. hour, according to one student at the hospital with her.

Moore was a biology major from Tennessee, according to a friend.

Due to the sensitive nature of the story, the student requested to stay anonymous after calling The Setonian. The information was also confirmed through the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

--

UPDATE: Sept. 25, 3:15 p.m.: Dr. Laura Wankel, Vice President of Student Affairs, offered remarks about the shooting incident of this morning.

"We are naturally outraged by this senseless act of violence," Wankel said.

Wankel added that the Seton Hall officials present at University Hospital include University interim President Dr. Gabriel Esteban. She also spoke of Counseling Services as being "mobilized" to serve Seton Hall students on campus and at the hospital.

According to Wankel and her latest update of the situation, one of the three Seton Hall students allegedly shot in the incident was treated and released from medical care. She also said that one of the students shot that does not attend the University was a student at N.J.I.T., according to the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

"The University is extraordinarily concerned about the nature of this incident," Wankel said. "We will continue to work closely with law enforcement and provide updates when appropriate and as necessary."

There is a prayer service scheduled tonight at 9 p.m. in the University Center Main Lounge, according to Wankel and a broadcast e-mail announcement.

--

UPDATE: Sept. 25, 2 p.m.: At a press conference this afternoon, authorities said they have formed a task force to launch an "aggressive" search for the shooter, as reported by The Star Ledger.

The Essex County Prosecutor's Office, East Orange, Newark and South Orange police departments, and Seton Hall's campus police, are involved in the search, The Star Ledger reported.

Police are offering a $10,000 reward for any information regarding the suspect, as reported by The Associated Press.

--

UPDATE: Sept. 25, 1 p.m.: A University official has confirmed that three Seton Hall students were injured a shooting incident early Saturday morning in East Orange. The three students are part of a group of five individuals who were injured.

While details of the victims - including names - is not being released from the University at this time, The Setonian has confirmed through multiple sources that the victim listed in critical condition is a 19-year-old female Seton Hall student.

The shooting allegedly took place at a house on South Clinton Street in East Orange at a party with multiple members of the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, according to a source who requested anonymity for safety reasons. Seton Hall does not officially recognize fraternity houses.

Additionally, the University will release more information through a broadcast e-mail this afternoon, according to Karen Van Norman, Associate Dean of Student Affairs. Van Norman added that some Seton Hall officials are with the victims still hospitalized at University Hospital in Newark.

The alleged gunman - reportedly still at-large - has been described by Seton Hall Public Safety as an African-American, approximately 25-years-old, 5-feet-8-inch, with a full beard and wearing a white tank top. He was allegedly joined by a second African-American male "on a bike" with dreadlocks and wearing red shorts.

--

UPDATE: Two men and three women were shot early this morning, according to a CBS New York online report. One was critically wounded.

The alleged shooter is an unidentified person who attempted to get into the party and was turned away, as reported by The Star Ledger.

The Star Ledger also reports the incident as a house party.

--

A shooting incident occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning near the White Castle on South Orange Avenue in East Orange - close to the Newark border - according to multiple eyewitness reports.

The incident allegedly took place at a Seton Hall fraternity party. The eyewitnesses chose to speak anonymously due to the severity of the situation.

Multiple students on campus early Saturday morning said the incident occurred after a fight broke out during a fraternity party. Shortly after the fight started, gunshots were heard.

In the early hours of Saturday morning – approximately 2 a.m. – East Orange police cars were seen blocking off the intersection of South Orange Avenue and South Clinton Street.

Clusters of people were seen near the White Castle parking lot and in the blocked-off street. Yellow police caution tape was seen near the scene as well. Some police officials appeared to be speaking to the people at the scene.

One eyewitness on South Clinton Street said the police had blocked off the street for about an hour.

More details of this breaking news story will be available shortly at The Setonian.com

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.