Men struggle before conference play

The men's soccer team lost their final two non-conference games before their Big East schedule begins on Saturday.

The Pirates lost to Columbia 3-2 on Tuesday and No. 5 Monmouth 2-1 last Saturday.

On Tuesday, freshman goalie Kevin Bonder was injured during pregame warm-ups, forcing head coach Manny Schellscheidt to start senior Sean Carr.

"We had another setback when we were warming up the starting keeper," Schellscheidt said. "He hurt his back and couldn't get in the net. You prepare, you know whose going to be on the field, and then you have a last minute adjustment. Obviously Sean is a good man to go back in the goal, he has been there. But it's a little different between him and Kevin."

The game was scoreless until the 30th minute, when Columbia freshman Henning Sauerbier put the ball past Pirates' keeper Carr on a feed from junior Francois Anderson.

The Hall tied the score in the 39th minute when senior Steve Rose recieved a corner kick from sophomore Adriano Gabriele and headed it in to tie the score at 1-1 going into halftime.

In the second half, the Pirates took a 2-1 lead in the 57th minute when senior Andrew Welker received a cross nine yards out and headed the ball into the net.

Just over one minute later, Columbia tied the game when freshman David Najem scored on a feed from Anderson.

The Lions took a 3-2 lead in the 65th minute when junior Mike Mazzullo scored on a header off a corner kick.

Carr saw 15 shots in game, saving eight of the 11 that were on net. The Hall only managed nine shots, of which only four had chances of going in.

Against the No. 5 Hawks last Friday, the Pirates had a 1-0 lead in the first half when freshman Victor Manosalvas scored his first goal as a Pirate on a shot 24 yards out after a cross from freshman Christian Battistesa.

However, the Hawks tied the game in the 26th minute when senior Ryan Kinne scored the first of his two goals on a strike from 20 yards out.

Though the half would remain scoreless, senior Brayan Martinez changed the game when he received his second yellow card for rough play. This forced the referee to give him a red card, disqualifying Martinez from the game.

"He's now in his fourth year and we go back in his four years here, he has a history of these kinds of situations," Schellscheidt said. "He hasn't learned too much, to control his temper."

The Hawks took the lead for good as Kinne struck a ball from 30 yards out past Bonder.

In the 84th minute, the Hall was denied a goal when a Monmouth defender knocked away a shot from the top of the box.

Then, in the final minute, junior Bradley Kerstetter ripped a shot to the left of Hawk's senior keeper Bryan Meredith. However, Meredith leaped, tapped the ball over the goal.

"I thought the 10 men in the second half did a good job putting up a good fight, but couldn't quite pull it out," Schellscheidt said.

Seton Hall begins their Big East schedule on Sept. 25 when they head to Villanova to face the Wildcats.

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.