Late penalty kick sends Hall to loss

Seton Hall fell to No. 8 Maryland at home on Wednesday night, 3-2, in a battle that was decided in the 80th minute.

Maryland's Sade Ayinde buried a penalty kick in the lower right corner of the net after Jasmyne Spencer was taken down inside the box with 10 minutes left, breaking the 2-2 tie.

The Pirates now sit at 1-3 on the season.

"I have to give credit to Maryland, they're an excellent team and it's no fluke that they have the kind of record they have," head coach Kazbek Tambi said. "They came here with a very strong team and gave us a great game and in turn I think we gave them a real run for the money."

Minutes before the penalty kick, redshirt senior and co-captain Katie Andreski netted her first goal of the season off a rebound and gave the Pirates a chance to take down the undefeated Terrapins.

Senior Nicki Gross' corner kick found redshirt sophomore Stephanie Soma, whose shot led to Andreski's goal.

The Hall's first goal came in the 56th minute when freshman Amie Ruhe connected with her classmate, Kaitlyn Ritter, who found the back of the net to record her second goal of the season.

It was Ruhe's team-leading fifth point of the season and Ritter's fourth.

"The freshmen have been fantastic," Coach Tambi said. "To step into the highest end of collegiate soccer with real composure makes me very thrilled about the class."

Maryland's first two goals came in the 37th and 52nd minutes, sparking the Pirates' late comeback.

The Terrapins 17 second-half shots finished their total at 25 in the game, compared to Seton Hall's eight.

Maryland also had seven corner kicks while the Pirates had four opportunities from the corner.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jennifer Pettigrew recorded five saves for the Hall.

The Pirates fell to Princeton last Sunday afternoon, 3-1, at Robert Stadium in Princeton, N.J.

After a competitive 1-1 tie in the first half, the Tigers scored two goals in the second half to seal the deal.

Sara Chehrehsa recorded Princeton's third goal of the game in the 86th minute to assure the Tigers the victory.

Princeton's Jen Hoy gave the Tigers the lead early in the second half after receiving a pass from Caitlin Blosser, who recorded three assists in the game, and scoring from the center of the field.

Hoy also tallied a game-high seven shots.

Freshmen Ritter and Meghan Hayes both recorded their first points in Pirate uniforms on the same play against Princeton.

In the 21st minute, Ritter received a pass from Hayes and eventually beat the defender one-on-one to score her first goal of her career.

Andreski recorded a team-high four shots.

Princeton's Gabriella Guzman scored the first goal of the game in the 10th minute.

Seton Hall heads to Hamilton, N.Y. for the Colgate Tournament on Sep. 10. The Pirates will take on host team Colgate University on Friday and Cornell University on Sunday.

"We need to keep refining and keep improving," Coach Tambi said.

"It's a lot of small items, there is no one major area that we focus on; we just need to limit the number of mistakes. Our goals improve with each game."

Matthew Bryant can be reaced at matthew.bryant@student.shu.edu.