End of the Sheeran era

Wednesday marks the final day of Msgr. Robert Sheeran's 15-year tenure as president of Seton Hall University.

His announcement to step down from the position came on June 4, 2009, to the surprise of many. During a conference call that morning, Sheeran used the words "shock and awe" to describe the move.

Sheeran addressed his decision as well in an e-mail to the Seton Hall community, stating he was focusing on his priesthood and "discerning God's will" in stepping down.

Current Provost, Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban, will assume the duties of interim president starting tomorrow. His tenure, announced on June 16, will be for one year.

According to the Seton Hall website, Sheeran will begin a year-long academic sabbatical in Berkeley and Jerusalem this month.

Since his announcement to step down, Sheeran has conducted a farewell tour, listed on the Seton Hall website as "an open house-style reception" for friends and alumni of the university. The tour spanned across the country and concluded with the "Many Are One" Gala in Jersey City on June 4.

Sheeran was also honored at the 2010 Baccalaureate Commencement Exercises, as he gave the keynote address to the graduates.

Nothing major has been planned for Sheeran's final day in office, according to multiple university sources.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.