Pirate Alert: Pope expected to make full recovery

Sophomore forward Herb Pope, who collapsed while working out on April 28, is expected to make a "full recovery" and possibly return to the basketball court next fall, according to multiple sources cited by Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog.com

Zagoria cites a text message from Charles Smith, the former NBA player and current mentor to Pope, as saying, "Yes. Should be a full recovery."

Amy Pope-Smith, Pope's aunt, is expected to hold a press conference in the near future to provide an update on Pope's condition.

Before he returns, Zagoria says that Pope would have to be cleared by a doctor to participate in basketball activities.

Zagoria also includes information on junior guard Keon Lawrence, who had knee surgery recently. He is expected to make a full recovery.

"Keon had knee surgery to clean up a meniscus," Willard said to Zagoria in an interview Wednesday in New York. "He had it my first week there [in April]. He's back, he's been rehabbing, he's been working hard. He should be hopefully back next month."

WILLARD ANNOUNCES 2010-2011 COACHING STAFF

New head coach Kevin Willard has officially announced his coaching staff in a press release on Wednesday.

As reported in the last edition of The Setonian, former Pirate Shaheen Holloway will be the associate coach. Former Iona coach Dan McHale will be an assistant coach.

Chris Pompey, the former associate coach at New Mexico State responsible for recruitng Pope to NMSU, will also be an assistant.

Steve Sauers, who served as the Seton Hall director of basketball operations from 2006-2008, will return to the Hall in the same position.

Grant Billmeier, another former Seton Hall player, and Casey Stanley, a former Iona College team manager and graduate assistant, will be coordinators of basketball operations.

"I think we've assembled a talented staff of both familiar faces and new personnel to coach these young men and best represent Seton Hall," Willard said. "We've hit the ground running and are already looking forward to next season."

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.