Herb Pope remains hospitalized

Sophomore forward Herb Pope remains hospitalized at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston as of press time, according to the latest updates on Jerry Carino's NJ Hoops Haven website.

Carino's last report, from May 2, said Pope "is doing better" and that multiple sources say his condition "has not worsened as was originally feared."

Last week, former Rutgers head coach Robert Morris (and newly hired Rutgers) head coach Mike Rice spoke to the Beaver County (Pa.) Times regarding Pope, as Rice had "spoke with Seton Hall officials" after hearing of the incident.

"Pope's heart stopped… and (he) also suffered seizures, convulsions and was vomiting," Rice told the Beaver County Times. "If he wouldn't have been so close to personnel that knew how to handle the situation, he wouldn't have made it."

Rice is familiar with Pope from Rice's days on the staff at Pittsburgh, according to Carino.

Pope was removed from the Rec Center on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital on April 28. Outside of confirming that Pope was in fact taken to the hospital, the university has not released any statement on his condition.

The deadline for withdrawing from the NBA Draft – which Pope has declared for – is May 8. After that date, an individual loses their remaining college basketball eligibility.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.