Dance team gets "Dirty" for charity

The Seton Hall Dance Team will be hosting its sixth annual dance recital, "Dirty Dancing," in the Jubilee Auditorium at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Sunday, May 2.

Admission to the show is free, however there will be fundraising for their American Cancer Society team, "Dancers Against Cancer."

According to Jewelee Racioppi, co-captain of the dance team, proceeds from the festivities will be divided between the Seton Hall Dance Team and the American Cancer Society.

"Giving back to the community is an important part of our organization," she said.

In the past, the team has done two major fundraisers for the American Cancer Society: Relay for Life and the Breast Cancer Walk.

All participants put the entire show together and the team choreographs all of the numbers itself.

The show's theme is "Dirty Dancing," and the opening number is tunes from the 1987 hit film of the same name. The rest of the recital will also feature music from different artists from a variety of genres of dance including ballet, lyrical, modern, jazz, and hip-hop.

"This dance team is a lot of work," freshman Lauren Cicale, a dancer for 16 years, said.

Cicale used to practice about seven and a half hours a week for a competitive team, but here at Seton Hall she practices about eight hours. "The dancers work very hard and for a very long time to make this recital perfect," she said.

The show is the expected to be the biggest of the year. Production started back in September and will finally be ready for viewing in May.

The team has even invited younger dance teams that will travel from as far as Easton, P.a. and Staten Island, N.Y. to see the performance.

"It gives them a chance to see what dancing on a college level is like," Cicale said.
"I hope that the audiences recognize the hard work and effort that we have put into our work," Cicale said.

Laura Masino can be reached at laura.masino@student.shu.edu.