SAB flings into spring with events

With the arrival of spring and the end of the semester approaching, the Student Activities Board is co-sponsoring Spring Fling 2010, starting Friday, April 23 to Sunday, May 2.

Spring Fling encompasses 20 events which range from outdoor activities on the Green, to movie night in the University Center and comedic and musical performances in the Cove. In addition to these programs, there are many other opportunities for students to take a break from their workload.

One of the main events is the Spring Fling carnival and Pirate's Birthday Bash which will be held on Saturday, May 1.

The carnival will include a caricaturist, inflatable obstacle course, a joust, two tents with carnival games and a dunk tank, which was very popular last year, Assistant Dean of Students Kyle Warren said.

The theme is Spring Fling 2010 – "Fun in The Sun" because "hopefully it's going to be sunny and our carnival is going to have great weather," Warren said.

SAB is not the sole contributor to Spring Fling. Organizations such as SGA, Compass and the Student Alumni Association were huge supporters, Warren said.

Co-chair for the Special Events Committee of SAB Sarah Olsen, noted that participation by various groups across campus is prevalent in Spring Fling 2010.

Resident Student Association is running a suitcase party, Adelante is holding a dance, "Noche de Elegancia" and the dance team will hold their annual recital. Multiple Greek organizations will be tabling and hosting events as well.

The turnout for Spring Fling is expected to be high, according to both Warren and Olsen.

"We really tried to have a lot of different organizations partake in these events so as to diversify and enlarge the crowd," Olsen said.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, there will be a tie-dye day, airbrushing and a craft day on the Green, which gives students the opportunity to be creative and make something to take with them.

"We tried to choose events that were easy to get involved in and not too complex in the planning," Olsen said. "We tried to put a lot of the events on the Green or in areas people pass a lot so that we could draw a crowd of passersby as well as hopefully having people plan to come out for the events."

Further events include Super-Soakin' Sunday, Field Day and man hunt, which all coincide with the "Fun in the Sun" theme. SAB is also sponsoring a trip the Camden Aquarium on April 24. Tickets can be purchased in the University Center.

Warren encouraged students to participate in Spring Fling 2010.
"Students need to look at these programs and show up in huge numbers and enjoy what's there for them," he said.

Complete calendars of Spring Fling 2010 – "Fun in the Sun", can be found posted around campus.

Nicole Bitette can be reached at nicole.bitette@student.shu.edu.