Hall student awarded Fulbright Scholarship

This year's Fulbright Scholarship to Indonesia has been awarded to a Seton Hall senior Grace Chung for the 2010-2011 school year.

Chung is a senior at Seton Hall, with a double major in Diplomacy and International Relations and Economics. She will be part of a 10 month program in Indonesia and is the second of four recipients to receive this year's awards.

The Fulbright Scholarship is a prestigious grant for the international educational exchange program that is "designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries," according to a informational booklet produced by the United States Department of States Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, which funds the program.

Since the program began in 1946, by Sen. J. William Fulbright, more than 111,000 Americans and 183,000 participants from around the world have taken part in this experience.

While in Indonesia, Chung will teach English language skills to high school students and also hopes to establish a school newspaper to encourage students to advance their writing skills, according to professor Kimble of the department of communication, who is Seton Hall's fellowship advisor.

The scholarship will also pay for Chung's living, transportation and medical expenses during her stay in Indonesia.

Chung was one of 13 Seton Hall Students to apply for this year's programs, an increase from only two applicants for the 2007-2008 cycle. Seton Hall's participation with the Fulbright Scholarship is part of the university's initiative to increase internationalization efforts.

According to Kimble, Chung is the eighth Seton Hall student in the past 16 years to become a Fulbright Scholar.

The Fulbright Program is currently operates in over 155 countries, and annually awards about 1,500 grants to U.S. citizens to support both study and teaching programs.

Alexandra Lubischer can be reached at alexandra.lubischer@student.shu.edu.