Students display scholar work in Petersheim Expo

Seton Hall University will dedicate an entire week to highlight the scholastic accomplishments and academic interests of students in the Annual Petersheim Exposition from April 19 to April 24.

The Petersheim exposition includes both undergraduate and graduate works, ranging from oral presentations to poster displays of research and experience gained throughout coursework.

The theme for this year's exposition is "Share, Honor, Unite" and, as the university Web site states, the exposition is a chance for students to share their knowledge, honor mentors and unite in their efforts to "bring knowledge to life."

Co-Chair of the Committee, Vivienne Carr spoke of how the Annual Petersheim Exposition has been successful over the years, "in large part due to the fact we have had a committee that is so committed to its success," she said.

The committee consists primarily of faculty and students with representatives from various schools and colleges. Carr said this is "important for the exposition because the whole idea is to highlight academic achievement."

Many times students will present on research that they are conducting in their classes, Carr said. Students in Carr's classes will actually be presenting on field work they have performed as education majors.

On April 19 an opening ceremony for the exposition will take place in the Chancellor's Suite, with a keynote lecture by Larry Robinson, vice provost of Academic Affairs.

A poster session will take place on April 20 in the atrium of McNulty Hall, which will involve study abroad and other interdisciplinary posters developed by students.

A seminar on chemistry and biochemistry will also be on April 20 followed by a poster session display of research.

"Many professors will have project based poster sessions," Carr said.
When submitting an application to present, students have the option of a faculty sponsor and most of those who have applied have one.

Undergraduate student Kristen Brunello is presenting her honors thesis, regarding the effect of yoga on mental health, at the exposition.

"I think people should present because it's sort of a blending of the minds and sharing new ideas with people with similar interests," Brunello said.

Nicole Bitette can be reached at nicole.bitette@student.shu.edu.