Women end season in last place

With a last place finish in the Big East, the women's basketball team finished the season with an overall record of 9-21 and 1-15 in conference.

"The season was very disappointing," sophomore forward Kandice Green said. "It was a little embarrassing we did that bad."

The team was lead by junior Ebonie Williams who averaged 13 points a game with Green averaging 12.8 points a game. Green also led the team in rebounds at 8.7 a game.

Both Williams, Green and senior Nicole Emery started every game that they played in the past season with 30, 29, and 28 starts respectively.

The season ended in Hartford, Conn. in the first round of the Big East Tournament when the team was beat by the Syracuse Orange for the second time this season. Entering the tournament as the last place No. 16 seed, the Pirates only recorded one win in-conference during the regular season.

The one win came against the Villanova Wildcats on the road in a 53-49 win. In that game, Green led all scorers with 20 points, and Williams added 11 points while playing all 40 minutes in the game.

For the rest of the conference schedule the Hall faced problems in almost every game.

"We were not consistent enough throughout the season," Green said. "We had little spurts of good defense or good offense."

To start the in-conference play, the Pirates played the Connecticut Huskies at the Prudential Center, where they were blown out .

The following game against Syracuse the team lost again with a score of 79-38 putting them at 0-2 in conference while being outscored 170-62 in the first two games.

The in conference losing streak lasted for eight games before the Villanova game on Jan. 30.

The Pirates did not have much luck finishing the season, dropping their final seven games of the year while being outscored 145-215 in the final three.

"We need to work on our defense and communication," Green said.

The season started better for the Pirates then it finished with the team going 8-6 in the non conference portion of their schedule. Through the first four games of the season the Hall held a record of 3-1 before dropping the next two games putting their record at 3-3.

For the rest of the non conference team's record was 5-4.

From there the Pirates went on a three game winning streak before dropping their last non conference game heading into the conference season.

Three seniors ended their careers with the Pirates, in cuding Emery, who started every game she played in this year leaves the team as the leading shot blocker and the third leading scorer.

Emery leaves along with guard Ashley Booker, and forward Letitia Curry who both saw significant playing time this past season, starting in 22 and 17 games respectivitly.

Also leaving the team is long time head coach Phyllis Mangina who stepped down from her position after 25 years on March 15. There is no word on who the coach will be.

"Everyone wants to play and get better," Green said. "As a team we are looking to have a better season."

Next season the Pirates have two recruits coming into the program that are among the top 60 high school seniors in the nation according to ESPN's Hoopgurlz.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu.