SGA VP resigns

The Student Government Association President Leonard Jones announced last night the resignation of Vice President, Kevaan Walton, who is stepping down for personal reasons. Citing approaching elections, Jones said the vacancy would not be filled.

"Seeing that we only have a month left we will not be filling the seat," Jones said. Elections for the Vice President seat as well as all other SGA seats will take place at the end of the month. Also stepping down is international student Sen. Mohamed Barry.

Senate Speaker Cosmo Cirillo and Executive Board Secretary Cait Giordano will take over the elections committee duties, which had been the responsibility of the Vice President. There will be no changes in the election process itself.

Meet the Candidates Night will be held Monday, March 22, in place of the usual SGA meeting. The event will be at 8:30 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge of the University Center.

"It's a great opportunity to hear from the individuals who are running for seats in next year's Senate," Cirillo said.

Arts and Sciences Sen. William DeCotiis presented a proposal for an SGA volleyball tournament to serve as a fundraiser as well as aid in student-SGA interaction.

"I'm hoping that this would be a way not just to help a cause, but to show that SGA is one of the clubs out there doing something on campus," DeCotiis said.

With more than 100 SGA-recognized clubs on campus, the tournament could raise $2,000 if just half of them signed up as teams. A team of eight students would cost $40, at $5 per student. DeCotiis said he also plans to set up boxes for spectators to donate.

"It's a simple idea, but you put something out there for people to throw a dollar in and by the end of the day you've raised a sizable amount of money," DeCotiis said.

DeCotiis proposed the money raised go to a different charity each year, suggesting that this year's would go to relief for earthquake victims in Haiti.

The tournament would be conducted with traditional bracket-style elimination, and the winning club would get naming rights to the entire donation.

"The wining team wins the right to say ‘We donated $2,000,' " DeCotiis said.

According to his proposition, the event would cost little to hold with use of the Athletic Center and Boland Hall volleyball courts. DeCotiis said he plans to partner with a food vendor who might donate food and/or beverages for a tax write-off since all proceeds of the event would be going to a charity.

DeCotiis said he hopes if successful, the SGA volleyball tournament would be an annual event.

"I'm hoping not to just do this as a one-time thing," he said. "What I'd like to do is attach this to the SGA."

The Student Organizations Advisory Council, will be starting up soon to determine candidates for new clubs and organizations. The form for students looking to create a club can be found on the SGA's Web site, and a broadcast e-mail with more information will likely be sent out the beginning of this week.

Katherine O'Brien can be reached at Katherine.obrien@student.shu.edu.