Work to do in the city

Seeking some déjà vu, it's the Friars on deck for the men's basketball team for the second straight game.

In need of wins to bolster a questionable NCAA Tournament resume, Seton Hall will cross the river and head to the 2010 Big East Tournament starting on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden in New York.

After the conference's regular season concluded on Saturday, the Pirates drew the No. 10 seed and will meet Providence at 7 p.m. on Tuesday. Seton Hall defeated the Friars on the road on Saturday, 92-80.

The winner will meet the No. 7 seeded Notre Dame Fighting Irish at the same time on Wednesday.

With much of the buzz about Seton Hall and March Madness requiring the Pirates to play at least into the tournament's semifinals, the draw is somewhat favorable. If the team can defeat its first two opponents, it would compete against the No. 2 seeded Pitt Panthers on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Pitt has had great success in recent years at the tournament, but did fall in one of its two meeting to the Pirates in the regular season.

Seton Hall stunned the then-No. 11 Panthers, 64-61, on Jan. 24 at Prudential Center.

But in the rematch at the Petersen Events Center, then-No. 21 Pitt blew out Seton Hall, 83-58, on Feb. 6.

The Setonian will have complete coverage of the Pirates in the 2010 Big East Tournament.

POSSIBLE MATCH-UPS FOR SETON HALL AND TIMES

(Confirmed) Tuesday vs. No. 15 seeded Providence, 7 p.m. (round one)
Wednesday vs. No. 7 seeded Notre Dame, 7 p.m. (round two)
Thursday vs. No. 2 seeded Pitt, 7 p.m. (quarterfinals)
Friday vs. Cincinnati/Rutgers/Louisville/West Virginia, 9 p.m. (semifinals)
Championship game, Saturday at 9 p.m.
* 9 p.m. game may be delayed based upon end of prior game

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.