Learning from Liddy

Since 1956 Msgr. Richard Liddy has been a member of the Seton Hall family.

Today, he continues to teach students, both in and out of the classroom.
Liddy began his journey with the university after graduating from Seton Hall Prepatory School in 1956. He then began his higher education, and later studied at the campus seminary, traveling to Rome for seven years for his doctorate.

"I did my doctorate on Susanne Langer's philosophy of art," Liddy said. "After that, I came back and taught at the seminary for several years before returning to Rome, where I taught for five years."

Liddy returned from Rome to become rector of the seminary for five years, and has remained at Seton Hall since 1984 without leave.

In 1990, Liddy served as the chancellor for the university for six months, which he found to be a particularly joyful experience, despite his preference for writing and research over administrative work.

Nonetheless, Liddy said the experience provided him with opportunities he would not have had otherwise.

As the current presidential selection process ensues, Liddy said he hopes for the best.

"My hopes and my prayers are for the best person for Seton Hall. I believe divine providence is in charge of the whole thing," Liddy said. "A good leader is important; someone who has a vision and is in continuity with the past."

Today, Liddy is not just a priest, but a professor who seeks to broaden student's minds. He teaches several classes in the Religious Studies department, which he has been a part of for about 20 years, as well as classes in Catholic Studies and the University Core.

"I love sitting around in a circle and I love hearing what really comes from the students," Liddy said. "I think that what they say, what they write, and what comes from their hearts is very important."

Liddy aims to help students realize the inner philosophy that each has implicitly. Having a degree in philosophy, Liddy said that everyone has a philosophy, they just need to realize it.

Aside from his duties as professor, Liddy also hosts Student Prayer Night.

"It's a nice time to stop at the end of the day and remember the things of the day, and just put it in God's hands," Liddy said.

Freshman Chris Adams is a regular at the nightly prayer group.

"This is a very beneficial group because it helps to end the demanding day of a Seton Hall student with prayer, quiet reflection, and good jokes and snacks in the company of friends and faithful Catholics," he said.

Sophomore Nicole Longobardo also regularly attends the prayer group, and said she enjoys the opportunity to reflect and relax. Longobardo said she appreciates the time that Liddy gives to students, not as just a professor, but a friend.

"I have learned so much from Msgr. Liddy," Longobardo said. "Listening to his experiences and his thoughts has helped me to grow as an individual."

Adams also thinks fondly of Liddy, and sees him as more than a professor.

"I consider him a wise counsel and revere him as a grandfather that has endless advice on life and blessed with a listening ear," he said.

In the future, Liddy said he hopes to write a book based on the University Core, and said he hopes to see the Catholic Studies program become an academic department. Liddy will continue aiding students, both in and out of the classroom.

"I have never known a nicer man that Msgr. Liddy," Longobardo said. "The world is definitely a better place because of his presence."

Samantha Desmond can be reached at samantha.desmond@student.shu.edu.