Delving into film

A Seton Hall freshman created a film society at Seton Hall in hopes of introducing its members to well known and popular movies college-aged students might not have seen.

Steffi Tindaan, creator of the club, said the society meets weekly to screen and discuss a film each week in Fahy 237 Tuesday nights.
"We have literature and literature societies to help us get into stories," Tindaan said. "Movies are stories, and we hope people will learn to enjoy the movies too."

Tindaan also said she believes many of the best films slip by unnoticed because some are advertised much more than others.

"The Academy Awards and media ploys seek to get attention for certain movies," Tindaan said. "Many times, good films are hidden away."

Freshman Ashley Scotto, the film society's public relations chair, said she believes people just go to the movies for the entertainment now and miss much of the message behind the film.

"For me, the film society offers me a chance to have a night at the movies, a chance to not only see the movie, but to absorb it as well," Scotto said. "I think that that is something that is lost these days."

The film society has screened three films so far, including "The Matrix" and "Pulp Fiction."

The society selected "Pulp Fiction" for its second screening because, Tindaan said, "Many people love ‘Pulp Fiction' but they don't know just what it is about it they like."

This semester, the film society has decided to select movies by their genre and decade.

The film society will also feature movies by popular directors and actors Seton Hall students might not be familiar with.

According to Tindaan, the film society plans to show movies like "Gone with the Wind," "Casablanca," and Charlie Chaplin's "Gold Rush."

Scotto said the film society also would like to show a book-to-movie adaption and hold either a Disney or animated movie night.

Unfortunately, the film society is not allowed to advertise the titles of the films being shown, Scotto said.

As a result she said students have to attend meetings to find out about what movies will be shown when.

"We can't advertise the names of the films we are showing, but that is part of our draw," Scotto said. "You have to come to the meetings to find out what is coming up."

Tindann said she hopes to see more faces at their next meeting.

Brenden Higashi can be reached at brenden.higashi@student.shu.edu.