Pirates struggles continue in loss to Pitt

The Pirates lost their fourth straight as they were defeated by Pittsburgh at the Petersen Center this Saturday, 78-57.Seton Hall’s leading three-point shooter, junior Ebonie Williams and freshman Terry Green led the scoring for the Hall. The each knocked down 14 points.Five Panthers scored in double figures, including Taneisha Harrison who put up 20.Pitt scored the first 12 points of the game, all of which went unanswered for four minutes. Green hit a free throw at the 16:00 minute mark to get the Pirates on the board.Williams answered with a three pointer and a long field goal to bring the Pirates within six.Harrison and Brittaney Thomas responded with a pair of twos to extend the Panther lead to 10.Pittsburgh guard Jania Sims hit a shot from beyond the arc to which senior Letitia Curry reacted with a quick basket to start a run for the Pirates.Sophomore Whitney Wood hit a three which preceded a basket from senior Ashley Booker to cut the deficit even further. A three-point play from Williams brought the score to 27-22 with 4:28 remaining in the first half.At about the 2:00 minute mark, Thomas accomplished another 10-point Panther lead with a deep field goal. Sophomore Kandice Green ended the half with a layup as the Pirates were down 34-26 with 20 minutes left to play.In the second half, the Pirates came within six points of the Panthers three times. One such instance was when Williams notched her second three-pointer of the game in the opening minutes.Harrison answered quickly for the Panthers with a long shot that once again brought their lead to 10.A short bank shot from senior Nicole Emery brought the Hall within seven, but Pitt put up two more fast shots to maintain a 54-43 advantage with about 13 minutes remaining. Another Harrison three-pointer and baskets from Thomas and Scott finished off an 11-0 run.Seton Hall’s last attempt came by way of consecutive triples from Terry Green, cutting the deficit to 13. Pitt scored 6 unanswered points to which the Pirates didn’t come close.The Pirates return to action Wednesday at 7 p.m. to take on Louisville at Walsh Gymnasium.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.