Mediocre season hits the halfway point

Going into Villanova on Saturday, the women's basketball team will be looking to put an end to their 10 game losing streak and in the process, win their first Big East Game.

Saturday's game will feature the only winless teams in the conference against one another.

Villanova (0-6, 11-8) is also seeking their first conference win after a three point loss to Louisville on Tuesday.

The Wildcats were beating Louisville late going into the second half before they gave up eight unanswered points to end the game and lose.

The closest the Wildcats have come to victory other than the Louisville game was on Jan. 12 when they lose by gour points to West Virgina.

Both the Louisville and West Virginia games are the only Big East games in which the Wildcats have come within ten points of a win.

Villanova is riding a six game in-conference losing streak of their own.

Last season produced a close game in these two teams last meeting, a 54-51 win for Villanova.

After the loss the Pirates dropped five more consecutive games before winning again, this time against Georgetown in the last game of conference play.

The last time the Pirates beat Villanova was during the 2007-2008 campaign, 51-49.

Villanova leads the all time series between the schools, 31-17.

Big East play got off to an inauspicious start for Seton Hall when they opened the conference season with a dismal 91-24 loss to top ranked Connecticut at the Prudential Center.

The Pirates have lost their first seven conference games by an average of just over 26 points per game.

The closest they have come to victory was a four point loss to DePaul on Jan. 19.

In recent years, Seton Hall has been no stranger to long losing streaks during conference play.

The last time the Pirates lost at least seven conference games in a row was during their 10- game losing streak in the 2007-2008 season.

The Hall also suffered an 11- game season ending losing streak for the 2005-2006 season.

The Pirates at least have some individual achievements to take pride in despite the team's struggles.

Junior guard Ebonie Williams recently became the 19th player in school history to score over 1,000 points in her career.

Senior Nicole Emery moved into the top 10 for career blocks at Seton Hall, and sophomore Kandice Green is second in the Big East with eight double-doubles.
Josh Jongsma can be reached at joshua.jongsma@student.shu.edu