52nd Annual Grammy Awards

Awards season is in full swing. The People's Choice Awards and the Golden Globes lead into the Grammy Awards, which some might call the highlight of the season. While red carpets were unrolling, recording experts cast their votes for all 109 Grammy categories (most of which you've never heard of) that will be awarded on Jan. 31.

The usual set of nominees are present: Beyonce, The Black Eyed Peas, Madonna, Britney Spears, U2, and Eminem. Some wins would simply add to extensive collections of awards, while others would be more meaningful. Jason Mraz, who has yet to win a Grammy, is nominated for both "Lucky" and "Make It Mine." Though a dark horse in the category, among the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West, Rihanna, and Justin Timberlake, The Lonely Island's "I'm On A Boat" received a nomination for "Best Rap/Sung Collaboration." Country break-out star Taylor Swift received eight nominations, including in three categories she shares with both Beyoncé and Lady Gaga.

The big drama surrounding this year's Grammy Awards was over the obvious sensation of the year: theatrical pop performance artist Lady Gaga. Though one would think her a shoo-in for the Best New Artist award, her nomination for "Best Dance Recording" at the 2009 Grammys disqualified her from the category. Though she then lost to Daft Punk, this year she is the frontrunner in that category, and will have the chance to make it up at this year's ceremony with her five nominations.

Gaga,was in talks with Michael Jackson to do a collaboration, but never had the chance to do one. This year the Grammy Awards will bring them together, however, as Lady Gaga will perform live and Jackson will be awarded with a Lifetime Achievement Award. In addition, this year's Grammys will be the first awards show to employ 3-D technology in honor of Jackson; a video clip made from his comeback rehearsals will be broadcast.

Bonnie Falconer can be reached at bonnie.falconer@student.shu.edu

Album of the Year
Of the nominated albums, "The Fame" has endured into 2010 the most, currently holding the No. 10 spot on iTunes' Top 100. Packed with songs that, according to the artist herself, are about "how anyone can feel famous," this album has seen incredible success.

"Fearless," although far from groundbreaking in its content, makes way for Taylor Swift's smooth transition from a teenage pop star to a mature artist.

An emotional tribute to their late saxophonist, LeRoi Moore, Dave Matthew's Band's "Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King" touches listeners differently from prior albums, and showcases an entirely different facet of the band's talent.

A further testament to artistic range, "I am… Sasha Fierce" presents Beyonce's two contrasting sides as a performer. Although also a sidestep from her roots, the album truly show off Beyonce's diverse talents.

Of all five nominated albums, "The Fame" has seen the greatest sales, established Lady Gaga as a strong artist, and made the largest impact on contemporary pop culture. Thus, it should be recognized as a front-runner for Album of the Year.
- Samson Mobashar, Staff Writer

Best New Artist
The Grammy award for Best New Artist of the Year will be given to the Silversun Pickups. Their sound is a bit different from what you're used to hearing on the radio. Their song "Kissing Families" displays that very well.

Other nominees, such as MGMT and the Zac Brown Band, suffer from not being as well known as the Silversun Pickups, and while the Ting Tings are well known, they will most likely not win the award.

However, Keri Hilson deserves to win the Grammy. "Knock You Down" is undoubtedly one of the best songs of year.
- Nicolaos Diakos, Staff Writer

Record of the Year
"I Gotta Feeling" that The Black Eyed Peas are not going to win. Their song does not sound Grammy-worthy with its redundant lyrics. Other contenders for Record of the Year also have better vocals.

"Halo" is one of the three songs that will possibly win the Grammy, considering Beyonce is and always was a Grammy favorite, although I change the radio station every time the song comes on. Kanye West probably believes that Beyonce deserves this award, but sorry, Kanye, there are better songs that could have been nominated.

Kings of Leon should win this award. "Use Somebody" has amazing vocals and is undoubtedly the best record of the year. The song is meaningful and has an impact on the listener. Unfortunately, Kings of Leon will be overlooked by Grammy voters.

The Grammy for Best Record will most likely be awarded to Taylor Swift, whose popularity has skyrocketed this past year. Swift is popular with teens due to her clean-cut pop country sound.
- Patrice Kubik, Staff Writer

Best Female Pop Performance
It's obvious that heavy hitters Taylor Swift and Beyonce are sure to go head-to-head to take home the Grammy for Best Female Pop Performance. While Adele's vocals may be the strongest, recognition has already been given to "Hometown Glory," making it unlikely to win.

Katy Perry and Pink both hold their own and rightfully deserve the ‘Grammy nod,' but neither is likely to come out on top with Swift and Knowles also nominated. Beyonce's "Halo" will win the award, however, it would be nice to see Katy Perry receive recognition for her creativity and exceptional vocals on "Hot N Cold." After all, how much fun is it when the same artist keeps taking to the podium and artists of equal talent are left awkwardly smiling in the crowd?

- Kristen Hardy, Staff Writer