Pirates continue to struggle in Big East

The women's basketball team dropped their second straight Big East game to open up the conference season with a 79-38 loss at home to Syracuse Orange. The loss dropped the Pirates overall record to 8-7 and put the team last in the Big East at 0-2.

The scoring for the Hall came mostly from senior Nicole Emery. Emery scored half of the points for the Pirates with 19, leading all scorers, including the first 15 points of the game for the team. Freshman Terry Green also added eight points despite shooting 19 percent from the field.

The one bright spot for the team came from their work on the offensive boards. Out of the 35 rebounds that the Pirates came down, 20 of them we on the offensive end. Even with so many offensive rebounds the Hall struggled to convert those chances into points with only nice second chance points.

The game started promising for the Hall after their 67 point loss to UConn. Against Syracuse, the Pirates kept the game close to start the game against Syracuse being down by one at 12-11 through the first eight minutes.

From there Syracuse went on a 8-0 run until an Emery jumper stopped the run. Emery would then go on to make two free throws giving her the 15 of the Pirates 15 points. Freshman Brittany Morris made a three pointer to make the score 23-18.

From then on it was all Syracuse. Syracuse went on two runs to end the half one that was 12 points and another seven points before two free throws from Pirate Sophomore Whitney Wood ended the first half with Syracuse leading 42-21.

The second half was more of the same with the Hall struggling to get anything started. One of the struggles was the shooting from beyond the arc. In the second Half the Pirates shot 8.3 percent or 1-12 from three and 23.5 percent from the field.

Along with the poor shooting Syracuse forced 21 turnovers against the Hall keeping the Pirates at bay for most of the game, only allowing 38 points in the 79-38 win over the Hall.

With the loss the Hall have dropped their first two conference being outscored by 108 points and being outscored 170- 62.

The Pirates return to action on the road against Marquette on Sunday.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at Stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu.