Quick and cheap holiday gifts

"You don't have to break the bank to be beautiful and feel confident," Bobbie Thomas, style expert and fashionista said, in a phone interview with the Setonian. It's the holiday season which means there are last minute gifts to buy and party outfits to plan.

Thomas' easy beauty tips and creative ideas for winter stocking stuffers are ones that will make you everyone's favorite secret Santa. She tests runs some of the most popular products on the market, looking for beauty products that are both affordable and effective. Whether you're shopping for your best friend or your impossibly hard-to-please mother, Thomas has got you covered.

One of Thomas' suggestions is to create a stocking for your friend that is loaded with low budget beauty items. That way, the stocking acts as a portable spa trip. Venus breeze disposable razors are a perfect gift. Affordable at only $9.99, the razors have white tea scented shave gel bars and can be used as a 2-in-1 razor and moisturizer.

To add to the spa-themed stocking, Thomas suggests Burt's Bee's Pore Refining Mask for $7.99. This all natural green tea mask which cleanses pores and refines skin texture. Thomas pointed out a unique spin for the stocking stuffers—cucumber eye pads. These are pre-sliced and moistened pads with cucumber juice, aloe vera and green tea. These reduce eye puffiness and bags, perfect for the college student who had just pulled an all-nighter.

For looking your best while packing light, Thomas recommends the Color Quick Fast Dry Nail Color Pen from Sally Hansen for $7.79, you too can give yourself a manicure in just about any location. It dries quickly and is available in a variety of flirty colors. Another space saver is Roll-on Perfume-Perfect Veil by Sarah Horowitz . It creates a fresh smell or further enhances perfume that is already on.

A favorite among students is Oscar Blandi Pronto dry shampoo spray (travel size), available at Sephora. It comes in a variety of sizes and is perfect for your hair if you don't have time to shower, instantly creating a fresh look by removing excess oil and adding volume.

Along with the Venus Embrace 3 blade razor and moisturizer, Thomas also suggested Stila Convertible 3-in-1 Eye Color. One end is an eye pencil while the other end is equipped with a smudging tool. When you twist the middle you have the perfect eye shadow that is ready for application. Another tool is Bliss' Problem Salved 20-in-1 Wonder Balm, $22, and can be purchased online, which is perfect for skin that is chapped, cracked or chaffed. Rub some on to alleviate sunburn, bug bites and blisters and you'll see immediate results when you sweep it across waxed, treated or stressed-out skin. You can also use it to tidy up your eyebrows or to tame those annoying flyaways.

The last product Thomas recommends for the holidays is Olay Touch of Sun self tanner/body moisturizer. This product is $6 and is available at most drugstores. We all know the problems related to skin cancer and tanning beds but we all want that tropical island look. This product gradually enhances your skin while moisturizing it from the intense winter weather.

After giving these great gift ideas, Thomas stressed her number one beauty tip: continue to wear sunscreen in the winter. Frigid weather is extremely drying and the glare from snow and the harsh sun can be brutal so a moisturizer is essential. Even though it is not summertime, it is important to wear a concealer or mineral powder with SPF.

Thomas' tips prove that drugstore beauty is affordable yet practical. You don't need to spend a fortune in order to get a killer look or give great gifts.

Jacalyn Estrada can be reached at jacalyn.estrada@student.shu.edu.