Pirates keep streak alive

For the first time in school history the basketball team beat their opponent by more than 29 points. The record was set after an 89-56 defeat of Hartford giving the Hall their sixth straight victory to start the season.

The Hall was lead by sophomore Jordan Theodore with 17 points in the game along with senior Eugene Harvey who posted a double-double with 11 points and 14 assists.

The scoring was spread out with four players scoring in double figures and junior Darnell Gatling scored his first two points as a Pirate with two free throws.

"For us to play well with Herb Pope struggling, John Garcia resting, and Jeremy Hazell in a little bit of foul trouble are good sings for the future," head coach Bobby Gonzalez said.

Herb Pope for just the second this season did not record a double-double. In 19 minutes of play Pope only recorded seven points to go along with his 10 rebounds while committing four fouls.

"He just got a little frustrated and was out of sync," Gonzalez said on Pope's performance. "He always play with great effort he just couldn't catch a break quite honestly. It just wasn't his night."

During the game there were three instances where the Hall went on runs of 10 points or more without Hartford scoring a point.

The team's biggest run of the night occurred right before and right after the intermission with the Pirates scoring seven in a row to end the first half and started the second half scoring the first three points, which saw five different players score, capped off by a Jamel Jackson three pointer from 30 ft out as the half came to a close.

The last of the runs was aided by a technical foul by Hartford guard Andres Torres.

The Pirates return to action Monday night as they take on the University of Massachusetts.

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu.