Hazell steals show in NJIT thrashing

The Pirates steamrolled past NJIT Monday night, winning by a score of 93-53.

Herb Pope led the way with 22 points and eleven rebounds, Jeremy Hazell added 21 points, and Jamel Jackson went 5-12 from beyond the arc to finish with 15 points.

The Highlanders kept the game close initially before a 23-10 run from the 11:20 mark gave the Hall a 43-27 lead to close out the half.

The Pirates then opened up the second half with a 20-4 run that put the game well out of reach.

Seton Hall led by as many as 48 points in the second half before closing out their fifth straight win, keeping them undefeated at 5-0.

Senior Eugene Harvey started the game, but was benched by Head Coach Bobby Gonzalez for Jordan Theodore after the first five minutes and did not return until the second half.

"Eugene's funny," Gonzalez said of his starting point guard. "I got a little upset with him and we had a little exchange, so he sat the rest of the half because I didn't think he ran the offense as well as he did last game."

Harvey finished the game with ten points, all of which came in 13 second-half minutes.

Theodore meanwhile recorded nine points, five boards, three assists and three steals.

Sophomore Isaiah Wilkerson paced the Highlanders with 14 points, while freshman Chris Flores also added ten points of his own.

The Pirates return to action on Thursday night to take on Hartford for their third straight game at the Prudential Center. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Zack Cziryak can be reached at zachary.cziryak@student.shu.edu.

Josh Jongsma can be reached at joshua.jongsma@student.shu.edu.