Mickey Mouse turns 81 years young

The Walt Disney Company will be celebrating 81 years of its legendary cartoon character, Mickey Mouse this month. On Nov. 18, 1928 Mickey Mouse grabbed the attention of audiences by appearing in the first ever synchronized sound cartoon, "Steamboat Willie."

Mickey Mouse has since become one of the most widely recognized characters, appealing to people of all ages. On his 50th birthday in 1978, Mickey Mouse became the first cartoon character to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The success of "Steamboat Willie" enabled creator Walt Disney to invent ground-breaking animation technology which later lead to the creation of the first animated film, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

Walt Disney built an iconic company that started with a strong base on animation. He later was granted nearly 1,000 awards, 48 of which were Academy Awards.

Since the release of "Steamboat Willie," the Walt Disney Company has been able to transform itself into a multi-billion dollar media giant with Mickey Mouse as its defining character. The company as a whole has expanded, developing six theme parks and resorts. It has also acquired major assets that include ESPN Inc., Disney-ABC, and is in the works of gaining the rights to Marvel Entertainment.

The company has been able to grow through its high quality family friendly movies and shows that keep people coming back for more.

Disney has also been the masterminds in producing hit television shows such as "Hannah Montana" and made-for-T.V. movies such as "High School Musical." These productions add to the list of iconic characters that belong to the Disney franchise.

None of this would be possible if it was not for the creation of Mickey Mouse and the production of "Steamboat Willie."

Earl Mays can be reached at earl.mays@student.shu.edu.