SGA approves off-campus safe location resolution

After much debate and delay, the Student Government has unanimously approved their Off-Campus Safe Location Resolution, on Monday.

The resolution brings it to the attention of the faculty that there is no designated safe zone or meeting place for students who are stuck off campus should the university go into a lock down situation.

"Our job in Student Government is to bring our issues to the attention of someone who can do something about it. It was just something that we had thought of that maybe they hadn't," Sen. Melissa Boege, author of the resolution, said Thomas Giordano, assistant director of Emergency Management, has assured Boege that a safe zone will be written into the University Emergency Operations Plan.

The location is tentatively planned for St. Andrews Seminary, located at 571 Centre St.

Speaker Cosmo Cirillo offered his congratulations to the Senate saying "I want to thank Senator Boege for the hard work that she put into this. She met with administrators necessary… she followed through with it, and now it is going to be written into the University Emergency Operations Plan. It is a great accomplishment on the SGA's behalf."

Also at Monday night's meeting, the Senate unanimously granted the Lusophone Student Association $100, in addition to the $300 they previously received from the finance committee.

This is the clubs first year on campus, and like most new clubs they ran into unforeseen financial difficulties.

The LSA is a club dedicated to Portuguese speaking countries.

The money they received from the SGA will be used to host an event whose guest list will include Seton Hall faculty as well as consuls and ambassadors from Portuguese speaking countries.

"This event will help us in our mission, which is to bring Portuguese classes to campus," Cintia Lopes, president of LSA, said.

The club did not have an official budget because this is their first year on campus.

Currently $14,267 remains in the SGA budget for the fall semester.

At the end of the semester any extra funds will rollover for the spring.

In preparation for the upcoming holidays, Sen. Callender said that they are working with SHUfly services to organize service to Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station.

Anyone who is interested should reply to the broadcast e-mail that was sent out, because the service will not be provided if not enough people are interested.

There have also been some problems with clubs having rooms double booked. However most of the time it is not double bookings, but clubs staying in their room past their allotted time.

"If people are in your room, they are required to leave" Secretary Caitlin Giordano said. If anyone is having a problem with clubs overstaying their time in a room, they can e-mail the secretary at SGAsecretary@shu.edu.

The SGA will also be looking into more fundraising opportunities for the spring.

Sen. DeCotiis, who was welcomed back to the Senate after a long absence, discussed the possibility of rising money juvenile diabetes or another worthy cause.

Frank Taylor can be reached at frank.taylor@student.shu.edu.