Volleyball loses to UConn on senior Day

The Pirates could not come up with a win on Senior Day as they fell 3-1 to Connecticut on Sunday at Walsh Gym.

Before the game, seniors Allie Matters, Melissa Bellomy, and Stacey Craighead were honored.

Despite the loss, the Hall came through with a good effort. They racked up a season-high 14.5 blocks and hit .244.

Sophomores Meghan Matusiak and Krissy Wrobel were consistent at the net and finished with 12 blocks each. Junior Sarah Osmun achieved a match-high 21 digs.

Matters marked her last home performance with 25 digs. This feat brings her within 26 of breaking her single-season record with two games left to play.

It was Matusiak who came through on the offensive end with 17 kills.

The Huskies were quick to attack, scoring five points at the start of the match. After they went on a 10-3 run, the Pirates came back with a 12-3 run. This brought them to a short lasting two point lead right before UConn evened the score once again.

The next eight points went back and forth but the Huskies were able to slip through to a 22-20 advantage. The teams continued to trade points but UConn triumphed at the end and took the set by two.

A kill from Osmun put the Pirates up by three midway through the second set. The Huskies were quick to tie the game at 13-13. They proceeded to take the lead on a kill and increased the score to 21-17 on a block.

Matusiak brought Seton Hall within two, 23-21, but the Huskies' Mattison Quayle sent over a pair of kills to give her team the set.

The third set also started off close before the Pirates set off on an 8-0 run, during which Matusiak and Wrobel tallied three blocks.

UConn showed its persistence late in the match and cut the deficit to 5, but the Pirates were able to hold on. They took the set with a final score of 25-19.

The Huskies maintained a small lead for the majority of the fourth set. A kill from Jordan Kirk brought their lead to 16-11. The Pirates' last comeback attempt came in the form of an Osmun score that brought them within two.

UConn took the set and registered five of the final six points to obtain the victory.

The Pirates will face Pittsburgh on the road this Friday at 5:00 p.m. for their final regular season weekend.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.