National champs beat Hall

It's been over a month since the men's soccer team left the field in victory.

Yet even after a tie and a loss within the past week's two road matches, Seton Hall is still very much in the mix for a Big East Tournament berth with three games left to play.

The Pirates fell to No. 5 Maryland, 3-1, on Tuesday night in its final non-conference match of the season after forcing a double-overtime 1-1 tie with Providence three days prior.

Seton Hall stands at 4-7-3 overall and 1-4-3 in Big East play, placing the team seventh out of eight in the conference's Blue Division.

The Hall stood two points behind the Friars in the division as of press time. Only the top six teams from each of the Big East's divisions qualify for the postseason tournament.

Against the defending national champion Terrapins, the Pirates grabbed an early lead in hopes of a major upset. Sophomore Giovanni Zammiello converted a pass from junior Michael Dietze from about 15 yards out to earn his first career goal at the 22:03 mark.

Just about 10 minutes later, Maryland responded when midfielder Drew Yates beat Pirates keeper Paul McHenry for his fourth goal of the season, drawing the match even at one.

It only took four minutes before the Terrapins grabbed the lead as forward Jason

Herrick's seventh score of the season gave Maryland a 2-1 lead headed into halftime.
Herrick added another goal in the match around the 64th minute after a header deflection off a free kick. He has scored four times in the last three games for the ACC-leading Terrapins.

McHenry did earn a bit of Pirates' history in the loss, as his three recorded saves placed him third on the school's all-time career saves list with a total of 231.

Maryland outshot Seton Hall 9-3 in the second half and 19-9 overall in the match. Additionally, the Pirates did not record a single corner kick in the game while the Terrapins registered four.

"Seton Hall is a team that has a positive philosophy of play," Maryland head coach Sasho Cirovski said in an interview with UMTerps.com. "It was a good game and they came to play."

The Hall did make progress in their postseason push on Saturday as the tie against Providence gave the team one additional point in the standings.

In the match with the Friars, junior Andrew Welker was the first to score when he recovered a blocked shot to send his own rebound into the net.

Welker, listed as a defender on the team's roster, leads the Pirates with seven scores this year.

But a penalty kick drew Providence even when Roy Sandeman, a graduate student, picked up his first goal of the year with less than five minutes in the match.

Both overtimes saw the teams attempt a total of four shots combined. The Friars, however, did attempt 21 shots during the 90 minutes of regulation.

Seton Hall will take on the Blue Division's leader, Connecticut, on Saturday at Owen T. Carroll Field before heading to Pittsburgh for a Wednesday night match with the Panthers.

The Huskies were ranked No. 10 in the nation as of press time with a Big East-high 19 points and an .812 winning percentage in conference games this season.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.