Winless streak extended in defeat

The women's soccer team remains winless in conference play after losing their fourth consecutive game to No. 8 Notre Dame on Oct. 11.

The 2-0 loss at home on Sunday afternoon drops the Pirates conference record to 0-6-1, with a 4-9-1 record on the season.

The Hall is the only team in the Big East without a conference win.

The Fighting Irish are undefeated in Big East play with a 5-0-1 record, 10-3-1 overall on the season. The win extended their NCAA-record unbeaten streak in conference play to 59 games.

Notre Dame got on the board early after Melissa Henderson buried a rebound into the lower left corner in the 22nd minute for her seventh goal of the season.

Seton Hall freshman goalkeeper Jennifer Pettigrew faced another nine shots in the first half alone, but the score remained 1-0 going into halftime.

In the second half, the Fighting Irish posted another nine shots but did not score again until the 85th minute.

Henderson's cross into the box found Taylor Knaack's foot from six yards away, putting Notre Dame up 2-0.

"If we defend as a team then there's no way anyone can score on us," senior Megan Mills said. "We just need to start fighting as a unit and I think things will start picking up in these last four games."

Seton Hall's junior Nicki Gross and Mills recorded the only two Pirate shots on the day.
Pettigrew made eight saves, giving her 53 total on the season.

"I think I'm definitely learning quickly by being in there, you kind of have to," Pettigrew said. "This season has been a really good experience for me and I just look forward to getting better as a team and individually."

The Fighting Irish also had seven corner kicks compared to Seton Hall's two.

On Friday, the Pirates suffered another 2-0 loss at home against DePaul.

"I think Friday we were a little slow, but all and all we are trying to come together as a team still and I think Sunday's performance really showed that," Mills said.

The Blue Demons improved to 3-3-1 in the Big East, with an 8-5-2 record overall.

DePaul tallied their first goal of the game in the 18th minute after Callie Hemming's shot from the top of the box beat Seton Hall's Pettigrew in the upper-left corner for her first goal of the season.

In the second half, the Pirates were called for a hand ball in the 55th minute, leading to a penalty shot for Tara Strickland.

Strickland buried the shot for her fifth goal of the season, ending the night with a goal and an assist.

Freshman goalkeeper Claire Hanold broke DePaul's single-season shutout record after posting her eighth of the year.

Pettigrew posted five saves in the game for Seton Hall.

The Blue Demons outshot the Pirates eight to six, but the Hall only had one of those on net, compared to DePaul's seven shots on goal.

Seton Hall has not scored a goal since Sept. 27th against Georgetown.

The Pirates season has been plagued by numerous injuries and lack of experience, yet many leaders have emerged to help the young team.

"Everyone looks up to you, not only for things on the field but things off the field," Mills said. "You have to do it for the team, regardless if you want to do it or not. You're in this role and every day you have to step up and show it."

Despite the situation the team is currently in, Mills is still hopeful that the rest of the season will end in the Pirates favor.

"I'm honestly hoping to pull out two wins this weekend and two wins next weekend," Mills said. "We still have a shot at making the Big East. I'm keeping the goals high."

The Hall will play St. John's at home on Thursday night and Syracuse at home on Saturday night. Both games begin at 7:00 p.m.

Matthew Bryant can be reached at matthew.bryant@student.shu.edu.