Student arrested in front of Rec Center

A Seton Hall student was taken into custody outside the Richie Regan Athletic Center last week. The student is suspected to be behind the series of thefts that occurred in the men's locker room.

Gary Christie, the assistant director of Public Safety and Security, said that the name of the student is protected information, but confirmed that the individual is a registered student at Seton Hall.

"The person who was arrested was charged with seven counts of theft and will be arraigned in the Municipal Court in South Orange," Christie said. "That person was released pending a court appearance."

Christie also said that it is believed that the student is responsible for seven incidents of theft dating back to Sept. 1.

Since the arrest of the student, there have been no more reports of theft at the Rec Center.

"When apprehended the individual had money on their person that was identified as having been taken from a locker," Christie said. "Later the subject made admissions to the police about the previous incidents and property from some of the earlier thefts was found in their vehicle which was parked on campus."

While mostly money had been stolen, all of the items had been recovered. Some victims were guests and others were students.

"There was somewhere in the area of $300 total cash taken," Christie said. "In addition a calculator, a text book and some clothing accessories were also taken."

Assistant Athletics Director Matt Sweeney said that Athletics has a strong relationship with Public Safety and Security and appreciated their efforts in the matter, and that because they would be handling the details of the issue, declined comment.

"Taking simple precautions such as using a lock to secure a locker is a common sense precaution to protect your property," Christie said. "Athletics has these locks on hand and will sell them to members or guests for a very reasonable $5 fee. Also, at some point during some of these incidents, there were other people in the locker room that may have seen someone suspicious hanging around. As in any instance on campus, if you see something or someone suspicious, call 9300, contact the police by dialing 911 in an emergency or tell someone about your concern. We will respond."

"I think if people don't use a lock it's their own risk," junior Nicholas Popoli said.

Sophomore Nicole Longobardo said she uses a locker every time she goes to the gym, but does not use a lock.

"I have this trust filled mindset because we're at a university and I know so many other people that go there," Longobardo said. "I only feel safe enough to leave a sweatshirt and empty bag. The trust I mentioned before doesn't go as far as an iPod or wallet."

Stephanie Bower can be reached at stephanie.bower@student.shu.edu.