Volleyball wins close Big East opener

The volleyball team won a close match in their Big East Conference opener against the Georgetown Hoyas by a score 3-2, 26-24, 25-17, 22-25, 26-28, 15-10. The Pirates improved their record to 7-10, 1-0 in conference, for the season."This win was a huge confidence boost," head coach Kris Zeiter said. "Georgetown is a team we are competing with for a spot in the conference tournament and it is important to take an early lead on them." The five set win for the Hall was lead by senior Allie Matters who had 30 digs in the match, Freshman Olivia Trudeau who had a career high in assists with 54, and sophomore Meghan Matusiak who led the team with 18 kills. Early in the first set the Pirates fell behind the Hoyas 10-6 before being able to come back and tie the score 11-11 after a kill by freshman Morgan DeVries. Both teams would trade points to 14-14, then Georgetown would go on an 8 point run giving them the 22-14 first set lead. Seton Hall would then respond with a 9-1 run tying the score again, 23-23. DeVries would put the Pirates ahead with a kill before teaming up with Matusiak for the block giving the first set to the Hall 26-24."(Coming back) really helped our confidence," DeVries said. "We knew now we could (win) no matter the situation."The momentum gained from the first set carried over to the second set for the Pirates. After trading points early in the second set the Hall pulled away to a six point advantage 16-10. The Hoyas could not respond with the Pirates taking a 21-13 lead before winning the second set 25-17 to go up 2-0 in the match. . In the third set Georgetown the entire set scoring first and jumping out to a 13-8 lead. The Hoyas would win the set 25-22 without even letting the Pirates tie the set at any point. With the 2-1 set lead heading into the fourth set Seton Hall started quickly jumping out to the 8-4 lead. Georgetown would then take the next 5 points to take the lead in the set 9-8. The Pirates would take command of the fourth set, taking a 5 point advantage 20-15. Georgetown would then respond with a 7-3 run tying the set at 23-23. Both teams then started trading points to 26-26 before the Hoyas scored 2 in a row, winning the set 28-26 tying the match at 2 sets apiece. "(5th set) is a clean slate for both teams," said DeVries. "It's a short set and you have to get it done right away."Both teams played it close to start the set, with Georgetown holding a slight advantage. Down 10-7 coach Zeiter called a timeout. Right out of the timeout the Hall got a kill from Sophomore Rachael Thornquist and a block from Matusiak, starting the final run of the game."The timeout turned the game around," said Zeiter. "The Matusiak block got us on a roll."The Hall would end up taking the lead at 11-10 before finishing off the Hoyas, winning the final set 15-10 after winning the last 8 points of the match. "We are going to have many close games in conference," said Zeiter. "Its huge to know we can win those close games in the future."The Pirates come right back with a home match against South Florida on Sunday at home. Stephen Valenti can be reached at Stephen.valenit@student.shu.edu.