Calling the Hall home

With the upcoming open house this weekend, I started thinking about what it means to be a part of the Seton Hall community.

During the week our campus is alive with school spirit, displayed in various ways through academics, athletics, and other special events. But when the week comes to an end, the red carpet is rolled back up and distinguished alumni and faculty leave campus, and I am often surprised at what is left.

I understand the greater portion of Seton Hall students live in New Jersey, but does that mean that the campus has to become a ghost town on the weekends? I hear a lot of freshman say, "there is no one here, there is nothing to do, and I am going home."

This problem turns into a vicious circle. As an out of state student, I know the feeling of not having the luxury to go home until there are major breaks on the university calendar.

There would be plenty of things to do and plenty of people on campus if everyone put in the effort. I know my friends and I start a game of wiffle ball on the Galleon Lawn regularly or play a game of basketball in the Rec. Center.

Take a walk up South Orange Avenue and visit the park. It is beautiful on a sunny day and has plenty of room for any game you could think of. If exercise is on your mind, go for a hike on South Mountain Reservation; on the loop trail there is a look-out and scenic waterfall.

If you want to get off campus and away from South Orange, the cities of Hoboken and New York City, both of which have infinite possibilities of things to do and places to see and are only a fifteen and twenty five minute train ride away.

Some, though, are little more expensive than others. Do some research; look for festivals or street fairs, museums, or explore New York City's many parks, most of these excursions are completely free.

My advice to the Seton Hall Community is to step up and plan things for your weekends on campus. My friends have become my second family and Seton Hall has become my home away from home.

This can be achievable to every student on campus.

Caitlin Cunningham is a sophomore graphic design major for Portland, Maine. She can be reached at caitlin.cunningham@ student.shu.edu.