Gonzalez to get three more years

Men's basketball head coach Bobby Gonzalez will receive a three-year extension on Thursday, according to online reports from The Star-Ledger and The Bergen Record last night.

The Star Ledger report states the university and Gonzalez "has reached an agreement in principle" that will keep the coach at the helm of the Pirates through the 2014-2015 season.
According to The Bergen Record's report, Gonzalez is currently entering the fourth year of a five-year deal.

In his three years as head coach, Gonzalez has compiled a 47-46 overall record.
Signature wins during his tenure include upsets of Southern California in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Puerto Rico Tip-Off Tournament and against Georgetown at Prudential Center, both wins over ranked teams last year.

Two seasons ago, his team also pulled an upset at home over Louisville, 92-82.

He picked up his first postseason win a year ago with the team, as the Hall defeated South Florida in the Big East Tournament, 68-54.

However, since taking over the coaching spot, Seton Hall has not participated in either the National Invitation Tournament or the NCAA Tournament.

Gonzalez's prior head coaching stint with Manhattan College lasted seven seasons and yielded two bids in the NCAA Tournament.

The timing of the contract extension could be set to correlate with yesterday's official start of the NCAA "contact period" for player recruitment.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.