Tiny art featured at Walsh Gallery

The Walsh Gallery at Seton Hall University is currently showcasing several exhibitions this summer.

"Lilliput" is a group exhibition curated by Asha Ganpat and Walsh Gallery Director Jeanne Brasile that will be displayed until July 23, 2009. "Lilliput" can be described as tiny art for big people, since the exhibition includes artwork in all media that is no larger than 1.5 inches in any direction. Visitors to the gallery are provided with a magnifying glass to view the intricate details of the artwork that would otherwise be invisible to the naked eye. Over 40 artists who contributed to the show used microscopes, lenses and magnifying glasses to create the detailed "micro-art."

Ganpat and Brasile first curated the exhibition in 2007 at Newark's Red Saw Art and revealed that the concept stemmed from the current economic crisis.

"During that time, the art market predicted the current economic downturn and in anticipation began producing a plethora of small works shows to meet the dwindling finances of art collectors," Brasile said. "We responded to the trend by creating a show of absurdly small art and in the process discovered the genre of micro-art. It's a fascinating phenomenon."

For those who are passing through campus during the summer, "Windows@walsh2.0" will be displayed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in the arcade windows outside the Walsh Library. Artists Shannon Bellum, Stephen McKenzie, Ryan Roa, Katie Truk and Peter Tuomey, who are all from the New York/New Jersey area, created works of art created from unusual materials including panty-hose, Trix cereal, disco lights, bronze pigs and origami birds.

"By placing the installations in public areas I provide an opportunity for people to encounter art outside the sphere of the gallery," Brasile said.

Also on exhibit in the Walsh Gallery is the artwork of three Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts students who participate in Seton Hall University's Project Acceleration program where local high school students earn college credits taught by Seton Hall professors.

Furthermore, "Presidential Manipulations" by Florence Weisz is also on exhibit.

The Walsh Gallery is free and open to the public Monday through Thursday 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For any questions about the exhibit, please contact Jeanne Brasile at the Walsh Gallery or e-mail Jeanne.Brasile@shu.edu.

Meghan St. John can be reached at meghan.stjohn@student.shu.edu.