NYC hidden hot spots

With New York City a half an hour train ride away, Seton Hall students have endless opportunities to experience entertainment in one of the most culturally diverse and lively cities in the world. These lesser known attractions will provide any city-savvy Seton Hall student with fun in not such obvious places.

The Comedy Cellar located on Macdougal Street has been hailed as one of the best comedy clubs in the city. Recent performers included Dave Chappelle, Ray Romano, Jon Stewart, Robin Williams, and Jerry Seinfeld.

"I saw Kevin James recently at The Comedy Cellar," said senior Mustafa Ziberi. "The place was really nice and all of the acts were hilarious."

Manhattan is home to the best music clubs and halls in the world. The Bowery Ballroom on Delancey Street on the Lower East Side is home to indie, underground music. This art deco/gothic-style venue used to be a vaudeville theater and boasts a terrific sound system and ideal seating. Upcoming acts include Josh Kelley, Ryan Cabrera, The Vaselines, The Lemonheads, Handsome Furs, The Orb and Deer Tick.

The Bitter End on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village is New York City's oldest rock club. Since its opening in 1961, music legends including Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, and Stevie Wonder have performed there. The Bitter End has also showcased comedians Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Joan Rivers and Jay Leno. Don't go on an empty stomach, though, for no food is served there.

The Nuyorican Poets Café on E. 3rd Street is home to Manhattan's freshest and underrated artists and exhibits. Mock epic contests are judged by members of the audience and poets share their work in weekly Poetry Slams. Music lovers will enjoy Latin Jazz Jam Sessions on Thursdays which has been hailed a "Critics Choice" by the New York Press for six consecutive years. The Hip Hop events include an open mic available to any new talent.

"The Nuyorican Poets Café is so much fun," said senior Erin Miu. "I'm not even a huge fan of poetry, but I was still very impressed by the talent there."

While the city is known for its famous attractions, no one should be afraid to check out these out-of-the-mainstream places.

Dana Cassidy can be reached at dana.cassidy@student.shu.edu.